Thursday, April 28, 2011

BUILD>> FREDDY THE GM POWERED S14 PT.1

I know this may be old news to some of you locals, but for the sake of this being my first blog I found it worth posting.  I want to touch on my favorite piece of the entire build, up to this point.  It was really a challenge for my skills as an amateur fabricator.  I had never mig welded stainless or really attempted to much sheet metal work up until this point.  This is my over the radiator air intake.  What may seem like a simple process of building an intake took several steps that I will have to post later.  Steps such as building a custom radiator support that was .75" lower than the factory.  As well as restructuring the hood so that the intake could tuck up inside it.

Here it is in the very beginning stages.










I, for some reason, didnt get any shots of me skinning the intake.  The entire intake is made out of stainless.



Here it is all body worked and ready for primer. 



Primed and guide coated.



Blocked out with 400



I chose to use Hot Hues hot rod black simply because it always lays out nice and even.  It does cost a little more than a standard single stage with a flattening agent.  However in my option looks much more professional.







I even applied a DEI heat wrap to the underside of the intake.  Hopefully this will shield some of the heat from the radiator.



Here it is installed.  Notice that the air filter is offset to the passenger side.  The reason is to be able to clear the 5.5" spal fan that will mount to the oil cooler.


 
Also a final shot of the lower mount I made to support the air filter.  Which still needs body worked and painted.

That covers the build of what I have found to be my favorite piece to date.  Hope you have also enjoyed my first "blog"

No comments:

Post a Comment